An 83-acre botanic garden with extensive collections of rare tropical plants including palms, cycads, flowering trees, and vines. Get up close with hundreds of butterflies in the Garden's Wings of the Tropics exhibit.
The garden was opened in 1938 by a group of passionate plant collectors and horticulturists, including plant explorer Dr. David Fairchild, retired accountant Col. Robert H. Montgomery, environmentalist Marjory Stoneman Douglas, County Commissioner Charles Crandon and landscape architect William Lyman Phillips. This group worked tirelessly to bring the idea of a one-of-a-kind botanic garden to life, and in 1938, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden opened to the public for the first time. Col. Montgomery, who founded the garden, named it to honor his friend.